Subject: Re: several messages
To: matthew green , Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/30/1998 10:32:08
On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, matthew green wrote:

: i dunno. i recon that netbsd's madvise() should fail if it doesn't work..
: if the emulations rely on it's "success" (as you say), then they should
: be changed to ignore what the *real* madvise() does?

How can a program rely on its success?  It's an _advisory_ call.  All I did
was make the call return `yeah, we got the advice'.  madvise() isn't
guaranteed to do anything beneficial for the program -- that's what mlock()
and munlock() are for.