Subject: Terminal server as serial console?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@phoenix.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/29/1998 09:09:17
This is of arguable relevance to the list, but I figured the folks here are
as likely as anyone to have done this...

I have a Xyplex MAXserver 4550 32-port terminal server, with 4 TSRVM-J8
cards. I'd like to hook it to my various surplus machines (couple of VAXen,
a DECstation 5000/25, an SGI 4D/35) to use as the console device for each.
I've gotten all the wires right, and everything talks, so I can telnet into
the terminal server at the appropriate port and get the system console - but
it does line buffering on the way from the network to the serial port. This
makes using stuff like vi next to impossible. There's a note on the Xyplex
site about using their term servers as console devices, and it recommends
setting an option to turn off line buffering - but that only controls stuff
coming in from the attached computer's serial port.

Anyone have any suggestions?