Subject: PPP authentication
To: Current Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 09/29/1998 13:44:02
Hi,

Let's say there are some 30 NetBSD boxes with 4 to 8 dial-in lines on
each.  What's the easiest way of configuring PPP on all lines and boxes
to authenticate the users using a shared user database?  Also, is there
any way of limiting user on-line time to some number of minutes per day?

I wrote a daemon which monitors given terminal lines and kicks off the
users who have used up all their time, but this system only works if the
TTY line is owned by the dial-in user.  However, if I start pppd on all
lines and let it do the authentication (this is required, so no special
scripts are needed on the dial-in users' machines), my daemon no longer
knows who's using the TTY lines.  Is it possible to get the user ID out
of pppd after authentication somehow?

I'd like to set this system up and replace lots of m$ stuff, but first
I need to find a way for implementing the shared user database and time
limits..

Thanks,

  -jm