Subject: Re: Version releases and current-freezes
To: Todd Vierling <>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/28/1998 08:55:59
Todd Vierling <> writes:
> Occasionally portmasters do snapshots of various architectures to ease
> transitions (or make it easy to get to -currentish without compiling).  The
> sources aren't frozen for the snapshots; they are just built and packaged,
> and sometimes not even tested well.

And alas, the sources used to build them aren't often packaged with

A non-small number of people install snapshots because they need to
have the features, etc., that -current includes, but want a somewhat
consistent and more-likely-to-work system.  Alas, they often can't
easily get the sources used to build the snapshots.  -current may not
have changed much since the shapshot was built, but it often changes
at least a bit.

Chris Demetriou - -
Plug: Get your official NetBSD-1.3.2 CDROM set today!