Subject: Re: 1.3.2 & -current sharing the same disk?
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/28/1998 03:05:30
Just thought y'all might want to know how it went:

> This weekend I am determined to lock myself indoors and whack on my
> sacrificial i386 until the darn thing has -current running on it.

Success. As of sunday night I have 1.3G (supped september 1st) running, and
capable of generating viable offspring.

A HUGE THANK-YOU to R.V.B. for the 'make the world' crib sheet. While not
100% accurate for my set of sources, it was complete enough to get me going
all the way through. I was able to fix everything I ran into.

The overall procedure (minus some goofs and restarts) was as follows:

    1. download 1.3F snapshot from ftp.netbsd.org.
    2. dd boot.fs to a floppy and put the tarballs on a zip disk.
    3. boot to sysinst and install.
    4. sneakernet over the supped sources from earlier efforts.
    5. attempt to follow the RVB crib sheet.
	a. fix unprotected call to Debugger() in adv.c
	b. fix overflow in INSTALL disks by removing all ethernet drivers
	c. fix drift of libc.so.12.30 -> 31 in distribution file listings
    6. dd boot.fs to new install floppy and put new tarballs on another zip.
    7. boot to sysinst and install on scratch drive (a crappy old 170 meg IDE).
    8. boot wd1a:netbsd
    9. joy.

As for the dual-boot question, I put off the decision by just going with the
old+new partition ID hack, since I really don't expect to boot 1.3.2 except
in emergencies -- so I'll just use **** FDISK when the time comes.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com