Subject: re: System configuration utility
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: David Forbes <dforbes@flame.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/27/1998 05:39:08
> That all sounds really cool.  There was even less on the web page
> right now than in your message, though: is that intentional?

Err, no, not really - just a byproduct of knocking it out in less than 10
minutes, before I went to bed...

> Using ncurses may be a problem. As best I understand it (not very
> well), ncurses is a package, not in our tree itself, so any
> system-config tool based on ncurses would have to be a package, too.

Well, okay, I'll use curses then - I hadn't realised this was the case
until you pointed it out.  I haven't used either before, and I haven't
started writing the UI yet (although I've designed it), so it doesn't make
much difference at the moment.

> Just personally, I think It'd be very nice if there was some way to
> integrate the /etc/*.conf mechanisms you have into the existing
> sysinst system-configuration tool, which already has tools to do basic
> configuration needed for network (FTP, NFS) installs.

Well, it's currently designed to run after the bulk of an installation has
been done.  I'm a little unclear as to how sysinst works, because I'm
using an arm32 machine and I get the impression that the installation uses
a different tool?  (Can anyone clarify this for me?)

Certainly it will take it's defaults from any existing configuration.

> Also, the kernel-config tool sounds like it has a lot of overlap with
> the tool Brett Lymn announced yesterday; have the two of you talked
> about this all?

I think I may have missed this post?  Could someone send it to me?  Brett
- if you want to get together on this one, drop me a line?

> It's hard to say more without seeing, or using, the code :)

Obviously, however, at the mo, the program loads, throws data around in
memory a bit, prints some diagnostics for me and then exits.  I'm hoping
to have a basic UI in place by the end of the week, that people can play
with.

Thanks for the comments,

David.