Subject: Re: texinfo files & tex
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/25/1998 21:05:58
On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Bill Studenmund wrote:

: > Distribution compilers don't need TeX.  Makeinfo is a command-line
: > self-contained utility.
: >
: > The whole schism was over whether or not to put, e.g., texi2dvi into the
: > tree, which requires TeX and wouldn't touch our doc.
:
: Then I'm confused. I thought the whole thing was that the texinfo stuff
: NEEDED TeX, which we didn't want in the tree.

No.  Only texindex and texi2dvi need TeX.  That's the TeX part of "texinfo".

info, install-info, and makeinfo do not need TeX.  They are the info part of
"texinfo".

: If the only problem (other than adding more GPL'd programs) is that some
: of the texinfo tools need TeX, I'd say let's include them all in /src/gnu,
: and have the in-tree texi2dvi mention that you need TeX installed if it
: fails to fork the TeX tools.

Then we'll probably need to pull a concensus on this.