Subject: Re: texinfo files & tex
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 09/25/1998 17:36:00
On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:

> On the other hand, I don't see us _ever_ putting TeX in the tree.

Right. The font stuff and all the macros are just too big for random use.

I think we should put all of the texinfo tools in tree, and ship the .info
files. How about we hack our makeinfo (or whatever would actually call the
tex package) so that if it fails when invoking TeX, it asks if you have
the TeX package installed. That way the error message is direct, and only
distribution compilers MUST have it around (and maybe then not even all of
it).

Take care,

Bill