Subject: Re: texinfo files
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/25/1998 18:14:29
[ On Fri, September 25, 1998 at 14:08:20 (-0400), Todd Vierling wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: texinfo files
>
> This was addressed with netatalk and coda too; if we ship it, it must _all_
> work out of the box.  If that means leaving out texi2dvi, so be it.

"work" is *always* a relative definition....

> The pkg system is made for users who aren't yet knowledgeable enough to do
> their own compiles and dependency installation and so forth.  In the pkg
> system, of course, this is easy to take care of.  Otherwise, the user should
> know `well, I don't have it, so I should probably install it'.

I doubt we'll see third party software intended for non-NetBSD platforms
be compatible with pkg_* any time in the near term, if ever.

> : Adding a stub script includes the depdency in the base.  It's an
> : elegant, perfectly legitimate, and widely accepted solution to this
> : problem.
>
> It's not NetBSD's accepted solution.

Why not?  Where are policies like this written so folks like me can find
out about them before having otherwise good ideas shot down with a
simple "we don't do that" reply?  Is NetBSD somehow "special", or
"above" solutions others consider perfectly acceptable?  Who creates,
approves, and modifies all these policies of NetBSD's?

--
							Greg A. Woods