Subject: Resignation
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org, port-i386@netbsd.org,>
From: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/25/1998 07:59:07
Over the last year or so, and primarily due to a small number of very
vocal people, being a member of `core' has caused me a rather alarming
amount of stress -- so much so that is it well past simply being
annoying and firmly into the land of severe health issues.  This is no
longer acceptable.  Effective immediately, I resign all duties,
responsibilities and privileges related to being in `core' and being
an i386 `portmaster'.

This is not to say that I am abandoning the project completely.  For
the time being, I will continue advising the remaining members of
`core' and the remaining i386 `portmaster' on technical and/or
political issues if they so desire.  I will continue to produce
CD-ROMs, provided that I get support from developers to make this
possible.  I will continue my official positions in The NetBSD
Foundation.  And lastly, I will continue my work for NASA, and will
proceed to work on the integration of the preemptive scheduling effort
into the main NetBSD sources (although it is not clear what I will do
when this is complete).

Although I'm sure that some people will rejoice at reading this, I
would like to point out that I'm not the first person to resign due to
stress issues, and I'm not the only member of `core' who has
considered it recently.  This is a serious problem that *must* be
addressed; it is not a plausible future for the project to leave a
trail of people with stress-related health problems in its wake.

The main problem, I believe, is that we have a number of alleged
contributors who actually enjoy inducing stress in people whom they
don't like and/or don't agree with -- and proceed to do so almost
every day.  I suggest that the project needs to do a bit of
introspection, and determine whether it is worthwhile having a bunch
of sociopaths in the ranks.

Note that this resignation is immediate and non-negotiable.  I would
appreciate it if `core' acknowledged receiving it.