Subject: 1.3.2 & -current sharing the same disk?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/25/1998 03:30:11
This weekend I am determined to lock myself indoors and whack on my
sacrificial i386 until the darn thing has -current running on it.

It has occurred to me though that I really would like to have a stable
1.3.2 installation hiding on wd0 somewhere so if I hose -current but
not the whole disk, I can still use full 1.3.2 facilities to recover.

Obviously I could create two NetBSD areas and use a boot manager to flip
between them (I own System Commander, which is definitely capable of this).

But I was wondering, just how easy is it to use a non-'a' partition as
your root disk? Does the presence of a real 'a' partition confuse findroot?
Do I have to hardwire the kernel to the other partition?

Has anyone even tried something like this before?

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com