Subject: Re: file(1) licensing - was: Re: licensing flames...
To: Ian F. Darwin <ian@darwinsys.com>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/24/1998 10:33:57
 > From: "Ian F. Darwin" <ian@DarwinSys.COM>
 > To: current-users@netbsd.org
 > Subject: file(1) licensing - was: Re: licensing flames...
 > Cc: christos@zoulas.com, gnu@toad.com

 [snip]

 > It would appear that somebody at NetBSD.org and/or Cygnus.com is afraid of
 > somebody at OpenBSD having a better idea, and is blocking email
 > originating from *.openbsd.org.
 [snip]

The NetBSD project is not 'blocking email originating from *.openbsd.org'
per se.  The NetBSD project is blocking packets coming from 2 subnets
that have, in the past, caused problems.  For example:

        - someone at that site was sending abusive mail to our mailing
          lists and wouldn't stop.  You can see this by looking through
          our mail-archives at ftp.netbsd.org.
        - complaints to the sysadmin yielded no help.
        - Complaints to the upstream provider were met with apathy.
        - we have evidence that someone from those networks was
          attempting to break into NetBSD servers.

This is not a recent thing and was not done as a knee-jerk reaction. It
is also not uncommon as you'll see in the following references from
the FreeBSD lists:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=293051+297018+/usr/local/www/db/text/1996/freebsd-questions/19961222.freebsd-questions

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=63567+65920+/usr/local/www/db/text/1996/freebsd-hackers/19961020.freebsd-hackers

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=56044+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/1996/freebsd-hackers/19961020.freebsd-hackers

We're happy to hear from OpenBSD developers with technical commentary and
information.

Further discussion on this topic should not go to 'current-users@netbsd.org'.

Herb Peyerl
The NetBSD Project