Subject: Re: texinfo files
To: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/23/1998 16:16:23
On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Michael C. Richardson wrote:

:   makeinfo should *not* be part of "info" or "doc" or "man"
:   I'd really like to move towards having a completely MI /usr/share
: distribution. Seperate the documents from the programs to view them.

It should be part of "text", the same set which contains groff (nroff) -
it's the tool used to generate the files.

In summary, I'd like to collimate this thread and do the following:

- introduce a "doc" set to take /usr/share/doc and /usr/share/info
- add gtexinfo to the src/gnu/dist/texinfo tree
- have texinfo build, adding install-info(1), makeinfo(1) and info(1) to
  /usr/bin
- add texinfo.tex to /usr/share/misc (for TeX's benefit)
- make install-info(1) part of the `base' set
- make makeinfo(1) part of the `text' set
- make info(1) part of the `doc' set (though it may qualify for `base' as
  many pkgs install info files)
- build the info files dynamically via makeinfo(1) and .texi files
- possibly build formatted-plaintext versions of the texi files for
  /usr/share/doc
- put together some sort of logic in pkgsrc to drop the gtexinfo pkg
  dependency on systems which have texinfo in the base

What did I miss?