Subject: Re: texinfo files
To: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Marc.Gutschner <marc@Frankfurt.NetSurf.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 09/23/1998 20:50:27
On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Michael C. Richardson wrote:
[...]
>   I'd like to see *everything* in /usr/share be a seperate install set.
>   It is completely unneeded on networked/dataless workstations.

I second this whole-heartedly. If you have several different architectures
at your site (4 at last count) that you want to run NetBSD, it is rather
annoying to suck down a 'base.tgz' with '/usr/share' in it just to
literally throw it away after download. In Germany you pay TeleKom for
every minute you are on-line !

>   If the  /usr/share/info files are an additional set, that is fine for
> me, and if they don't get built, cool withme too.

The 'info' files are cumbersome to navigate but sometimes necessary
because there are no (usable) 'man'-pages for certain packages (esp. FSF
software). I really don't think anyone would be overly upset if they were
put into a seperate set: "If you want them - get them" ;).

just my 2pf (local currency ;)),
Marc