Subject: Re: texinfo files
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Jim Wise <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/23/1998 00:18:33

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Jonathan Stone wrote:

>If we do /usr/share/info, we need to rationalize that, and patch all
>info readers to look in both places (since there are packages that add
>info nodes which aren't already in our tree.)  Which doesn't really
>fit very well with the intent of a top-level directory containing all
>Info nodes.

This isn't as hard as all that.  info, emacs and tkinfo all support
setting the INFOPATH environment variable to a MANPATH style list of
directories to search for info files.  `dir' files from all such
directories are concatenated by the info browser when the root node is

>I spose just using /usr/pkg/info (or /usr/pkg/share/info) for intree
>info files breaks our own hier(7) rules, right?

Nah, let's _not_ put anything unrelated to packages in /usr/pkg/...
Put any info files we ship with the system in /usr/share/info, and let
those that come from packages go in /usr/pkg/info and /usr/X11R6/info.
We could provide a default MANPATH in /etc/{profile,csh.*} that
DTRT, or help te user figure this out in the appropriate man pages.

I'm more concerned about us installing documentation in /usr/share that
we don't ship a browser for.  Perhaps we should bite the bullet and
bring texinfo into /usr/src/gnu?  (I'm usually the last person to
suggest that we bring more GPL'ed code into NetBSD, but it would only be
depended on by other GPL'ed tools, and would make a lot of the tools we
already ship much more usable)

If we don't want to install info files (and I think we shouldn't install
them if we don't provide a browser for them), maybe we could provide a
netbsd-info package file (which _would_ go in /usr/pkg/info) with the
info files from our various gnu software.

- --
				Jim Wise

Charset: noconv