Subject: Re: More licensing flames...
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 09/22/1998 11:22:28
On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> Given my current understanding of Canadian copyright law and the way the
> GNU GPL is worded....

I am not sure how copyright law gets involved in this. In the end,
copyright says `you may not copy this unless the owner of the
copyright allows you to.' It then goes on to define what sort of
things can be copyrighted. As I understand it, the licence is just
the list of conditions that must be fulfilled by you in order to
have the ability to copy the item in question. There's no reason
anything in copyright law has to apply to the licence.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@portal.ca>  604-257-9400    De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
Any opinions expressed are mine and mine alone.