Subject: Re: More licensing flames...
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/21/1998 22:56:11
seebs@plethora.net writes:
> I'm just curious about this, because I'd never noticed it before, and
> it really looks fairly similar to some of the terms of the Sleepycat
> license agreement...  Is this okay just because most programs don't
> have a solid dependancy on file(1), or what?

Presumably, yes.  However, it should be segregated from the rest of
the code base, just like other code with licenses like that.

I think 'cron' is another example, btw.  indeed, depending on how
strictly you want to interpret its license, we may not even be obeying
it.  (we don't mark our individual changes, but then, we have market
the files with our RCS Ids.)

cgd

cgd
Plug: Get your official NetBSD-1.3.2 CDROM set today! http://www.netbsd.com/