Subject: Re: OpenBSD
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/21/1998 22:25:51
Jonathan Stone writes:
> >The main catalogue has everything of note, but not a direct
> >item by item comparison.  That would take a book for NetBSD's technical
> >changes and OpenBSD's security changes, though it would make for a good
> >read.
>
> Um, that rather presupposes that OpenBSD has in fact made significant
> security-related changes _which aren't also in NetBSD_.

I'm aware of only one: the IPSec implementation.

> Other than crypto distribution, what has OpenBSD acutally done that
> NetBSD hasn't?  I mean, it's not like no NetbSD developers follow
> BUGTRAQ, now is it?

I've heard claims that OpenBSD has made security fixes that are not in
NetBSD, but so far as I can tell, we've fixed most of the same
problems. NetBSD has certain security features OpenBSD does not, too
(like the way we've restructured several utilities so they don't need
privs.)

Perry