Subject: Re: OpenBSD
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Perry E. Metzger <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/21/1998 22:25:51
Jonathan Stone writes:
> >The main catalogue has everything of note, but not a direct
> >item by item comparison.  That would take a book for NetBSD's technical
> >changes and OpenBSD's security changes, though it would make for a good
> >read.
> Um, that rather presupposes that OpenBSD has in fact made significant
> security-related changes _which aren't also in NetBSD_.

I'm aware of only one: the IPSec implementation.

> Other than crypto distribution, what has OpenBSD acutally done that
> NetBSD hasn't?  I mean, it's not like no NetbSD developers follow
> BUGTRAQ, now is it?

I've heard claims that OpenBSD has made security fixes that are not in
NetBSD, but so far as I can tell, we've fixed most of the same
problems. NetBSD has certain security features OpenBSD does not, too
(like the way we've restructured several utilities so they don't need