Subject: Re: weird changer device
To: None <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 09/21/1998 15:23:32

MJ> There's often a tradeoff whether a changer expects block
MJ> descriptors disabled or not. I seem to recall in a brief review of
MJ> the chio code (which I can't do at present as I'm shutting my
MJ> systems down prior to a two week trip) that the ch driver didn't
MJ> try both. Look at st.c for an example.

Okay, I'll check it out; thanks.

MJ> On the other hand, the error would be usually reported as Illegal
MJ> bit in CDB- not Invalid Operation code. Is there a switch for this
MJ> device to enable/disable changer mode?

Nope, that's its only mode of operation, AFAICT.  I was thinking the
problem might be because it's using a slightly different changer
paradigm from what I consider to be "standard."  A given slot can
contain as many as 50 media units.  Does the SCSI changer spec cover
that?

Chris

--
Chris Jones                                          cjones@honors.montana.edu