Subject: Re: Sleepycat Software DB 2.x library licensing vs. NetBSD
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/21/1998 00:41:58
[ On Sat, September 19, 1998 at 23:35:07 (-0500), seebs@plethora.net wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Sleepycat Software DB 2.x library licensing vs. NetBSD
>
> Then you correct them, and tell them about your consulting rates.  If
> the vendor is representing that their changed version is your work, you
> might well be able to sue them.  Or, use Artistic license to make it *very*
> clear that you can sue them.

Yeah, well, all these suggestions are very well and good, but...

This is a very real problem for some people, not to mention that it's a
pain in the butt, and the legal expenses can often mount well beyond
what you might ever see in return.  Who the hell wants to hire a lawyer
just because you wrote an posted some cool software once upon a time?

> Anyway, if they think that support for freeware is free, just procmail
> 'em to /dev/null, you don't need to communicate with people like that.

Sure, you can try, but some of these crazy nuts are quite persistent.
I've even heard one story of a user showing up at someone's place of
business and causing quite a scene over something that had been written
long before he worked at this particular company.

--
							Greg A. Woods