Subject: Re: Sleepycat Software DB 2.x library licensing vs. NetBSD
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/19/1998 09:12:57
In message <m0zKGQD-0009MEC@most.weird.com>, Greg A. Woods writes:
>In strictly philisophical (and possibly some legal) terms I don't think
>one can consider software that can be "hijacked" and turned into
>proprietary software to be truely "open" and free.

How can anyone ever hijack your code?  Let's say they take the entire NetBSD
source tree, slap a label on it, and sell it as a closed source system.

Your code is still in the NetBSD source tree, being given away, and is still
not proprietary.

It's not like a book of which there's only one copy.  If some people rip
pages from their copies, or scribble on their copies, the other copies are
still fine.

-s