Subject: Re: package system (was: AFS/arla)
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Nigel Reed <nigel@nelgin.nu>
List: current-users
Date: 09/18/1998 17:20:50
I think we could all do with something along the lines of HP's swinstall.
(I'm using this as an example as I use HP more than anything else at work).
You can run swinstall and get a GIU or a cursor based interface, you connect
to the specified server, select the software you want, it will choose any
dependancies which are required and load the software. It will backup so you
can undo if required and log all the files which are updated.

I would not know where to start writing something like that, but if anyone
wants to have a crack (or should that be hack), I'd be more than happy to
provide some input.

Regards
Nigel