Subject: package system (was: AFS/arla)
To: Jason Thorpe <>
From: Johan Danielsson <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/18/1998 16:55:20
Jason Thorpe <> writes:

> If you have a diskless client, well, the pkg_* tools need to be
> taught how to manipulate alternate DB files, and how to notify a DB
> that a package is already installed, or somehitng.

And if this ever happens, can we *please* have a system that you can
`install' things in without having to run some program. I am
specifically thinking about systems running `package' (or some similar
system) to update their local disks.

What Digital UNIX is using, is close to what I like. The AIX and IRIX
models are as far from it as you can come (with large horrible
database that you can never, or so it seems, keep in sync with