Subject: Sysinst Tool Question...
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Feico Dillema <dillema@acm.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/18/1998 14:32:39
Hi,

I'd like comments from people that have worked on the sysinst
tool on the following:

Would it be easy (to implement) and nice (to have) to add the folowing feature
to the sysinst tool: Let sysinst record a trace/log of the
installation/configuration parameters it gets from the user to get a NetBSD
system up and running. For a subsequent install that trace/log could then be
used to do an automatic install on that particular machine.

I assume some of you would shudder at the thought, but I think it
could be a quite useful feature for client systems that store
all personal data on file-servers and only have NetBSD/X11 and
maybe /usr/pkg on the local disk, i.e. have only local stuff
that can be reconstructed automatically. Such systems used by
`ordinary users' would then be easier maintain, as system-admin
intervention/time is not necessary to reconstruct a system
after a hard crash (hardware failure or user powering down
system without proper halt-ing the machine etc). `Just' give
the user a boot-floppy with sysinst and its log/trace from last
time...

Just a thought...

Feico Dillema.