Subject: Re: Sleepycat Software DB 2.x library licensing vs. NetBSD
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Greg Hudson <ghudson@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 09/17/1998 16:00:36
> Has anyone talked to them about getting some sort of special
> permission to include it within the libc?

They can't grant us "special permission" since our libc needs to be
freely redistributable.

> Also, would a private interface to 2.x be acceptable, or do we want
> to provide 2.x to users as well?

What good would a private interface do us?  Convering the passwd and
termcap databases to db 2 would be of essentially zero benefit.  The
whole point would be to provide a better interface to applications.

There is a version of db 2 shipped with krb5, based on an alpha with
the old license terms.  Someone could look into that, but I don't know
if its database format is compatible with current versions of db 2,
and it certainly doesn't have all of the improvements in current
versions of db 2.