Subject: Re: BSD system bezels?
To: None <darcy@druid.net, soren@t.dk>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/16/1998 22:26:38
> From: darcy@druid.net (D'Arcy J.M. Cain)
	:::
> Thus spake Soren S. Jorvang
> > > I migth be too, if I knew waht is a "bezels" :)
> >
> > They are the little 1 inch by 1 inch rubbery transparent thingys
> > with an embedded piece of metal foil with a company logo in front
> > put on random PCs by clone assemblers. PC enclosures usually
> > have a little square area for this purpose on the front side.
>
> Small nit but a bezel is the piece of plastic or metal that surrounds
> a device to make a clean looking front.  At least, that's the computer
> usage of the term.  Originally it was a jewelry term for the part of
> a ring or watch that held the stone or the clockface.
>
> An example of a bezel on a computer is those plasic rectangles that filled
> a full 5.25" floppy slot with a cutout for a 3.5" floppy drive.
>
> I'm not sure what the term for those logo inserts are unless they are
> called "logo inserts."

They are called `nameplates', but there is a great deal of overlap between
labels and nameplates.

One example of where you go to get these would be http://www.labelco.com.

They have lots of cheap ones, a quick glance at their paper catalog looking
for their most expensive one shows 1" x 1" `hot stamped & embossed foil
labels' at $162 for 500, with various graduations down to $77/1K @ qty 5K.

They have `sub-surface screen printed' nameplates for $0.70 & $2.52
each @ qty 125.

There are also a number of companies more strictly in the nameplate racket.

Looking at Avalon's on-line PO history, I see that we ordered `hot stamped'
nameplates in 1991 from a `Douglas Corporation' of Eden Prairie, MN, made
of `ABS Cycolac' (must be some kind of plastic) and paid $580 for 100.

Hope this helps...

  --Ross Harvey