Subject: Re: road map for new immigrants?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/15/1998 01:04:38
In message <199809150550.WAA03271@Kowhai.Stanford.EDU>, Jonathan Stone writes:
>Re-build the program generators which build the .c or .h files?
>No. That way lies madness: how far down do you stop?

As far down as any automated process is likely to go.  Basically, all I want
in the "make" default is the stuff that would be *built* during a 'make
depend', because I don't want to have to run a 'depend' phase; since I
almost always build from a 'make cleandir', I don't expect to be worrying
about dependencies.

>If the change is in something like lint (e.g., adding the -d flag)
>there's really no good way to encode the dependency on a specific
>version, and nowhere to put a lint built against your old libc (which
>you need in order to build the new lint libraries to finish building a
>new libc).

True, so you'd presumably just have to document that one.

However, a 'make build' probably wouldn't get that either.

-s