Subject: Re: road map for new immigrants?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/15/1998 00:26:51
In message <199809150452.VAA01002@Smeg.DSG.Stanford.EDU>, Jonathan Stone writes
>If you just created a virgin source tree, filled it with fresh source,
>then plain old "make" should build everything without needing a
>"make depend".  Is that the case Peter's talking about?

Yes.  I believe that 'make depend' should be a *completely optional* stage
which figures out 'indirect dependencies'.  For example, if 'foo.o' depends
on 'foo.c' which includes 'foo.h', 'make depend' should create the file
that says that 'foo.o' depends on 'foo.h' too.  This is logically separate
from the issue of building things which are needed to build other things,
and I think the latter should be done automatically even by a plain 'make'.

-s