Subject: Re: road map for new immigrants?
To: Ted Spradley <tsprad@spradley.tmi.net>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/15/1998 00:39:41
Ted Spradley writes:
> I'm running a port-alpha snapshot from June 28, and I want to move to
> -current. I suppose I'd better build config and a new kernel first, and
> then "make build".

Yes. Build your kernel first and run it, then build the new userland
using that new kernel.

BTW, libc is broken right now, so if you are using -current sources
from the last couple of days, you would be advised to wait before
building (as per Jason's message of this morning.) Jason promised to
note when this would be fixed (I'm guessing by tomorrow.)

> > Anyway, the simple solution to that problem is to go into
> > /usr/src/domestic/usr.bin/compile_et and type
> >
> > "make depend && make && make install"
>
> I'm supping 'release=security'.  Will making and installing in
> /usr/src/domestic... as you say fix things if I did fail to unpack the
> secr set?

It should, in fact, fix that for you, but bootstrapping will require
that you fix the missing compile_et and I believe one other program by
hand.

Perry