Subject: Re: /kern/kernel
To: None <Guenther.Grau@bk.bosch.de, tv@pobox.com>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: current-users
Date: 09/14/1998 18:22:02
> : Is it not possible to page the symbols out to swap space, once the
> : kernel is loaded?
>
> No.  Swap is no longer configured at kernel boot time; it is configured as
> part of the bootup /etc/rc.  And that initial boot Must work in order to get
> the swap configured.

So what?

Actually I'm running kernels with this since over a year here.
And that's on i386 emulating a a.out binary with 0-sized text and data,
as well as on my ofppc port (ok, this latter doesn't actually work
currently, mainly due to hardware problems) using a similar elf-type format.

You don't want to actively page out the symbols to the swap space.  You
simply make the memory occupied by the symbol table pageable (of course
you do that only, if you don't have ddb compiled in :-)) and be done with
it.  The pageout daemon takes care of the rest.

Unfortunately, I haven't yet updated this to work with UVM, but that
should be quite easy to do.

Ciao,
Wolfgang
--