Subject: 14-Sep Toolchain Update
To: None <firstname.lastname@example.org>
From: Todd Vierling <email@example.com>
Date: 09/14/1998 10:05:09
This status report reflects the state as it sits in NetBSD-current as of
this message, so it may be until the next supscan for all sources to be
available via sup.
===== PLATFORM INDEPENDENT KNOWN PROBLEMS =====
None currently known.
===== MAIN GCC ARCHITECTURE COMPONENTS =====
GCC version in-tree: egcs 1.1b release with NetBSD bug-fixes and kprintf
- Haifa scheduler: Available, working and set by default on alpha, powerpc,
and sparc. You can build egcs with the newer Haifa instruction scheduler
by setting USE_EGCS_HAIFA in /etc/mk.conf. Only the three given platforms
have received Cygnus's blessing for Haifa; other platforms are either
experimental or completely broken.
- alpha: Working, except some strange float errors in libg2c that are
likely misdetection of type sizes (working on it). NOW DEFAULT.
- arm32: Working except for some problems compiling
libc/arch/arm32/softfloat.c properly. Watch This Space.
- i386: Working, reported by <firstname.lastname@example.org> and verified by me.
- m68k: Not retested after the vfprintf.c codegen bug was fixed. Will do
regressions once libc is compilable again.
- mips[el]: In testing.
- mipseb: Not yet set up. Some diffs need to go in for this, which I have.
Will get tested soon.
- ns32k: Working, reported by <email@example.com>. Not yet default.
- powerpc: Working, reported by <firstname.lastname@example.org>. Not yet default.
- sparc: Working, but REQUIRES a fix for a null pointer bug in the old gas
assembler in order to compile -fPIC code. The src/gnu/usr.bin/gas tree
in -current has the fix, or a 1.3.x and higher binary is available from
ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/arch/sparc/as.GOTfix - install into "/usr/bin/as".
Not yet default.
- vax: Set up but not yet tested. I need volunteer(s).
- libgcc, libg2c (f77), libobjc, and libstdc++: Working; now in src/gnu/lib.
===== GNU BINUTILS, ASSEMBLER, AND LINKER =====
- alpha: Working.
- mips: Uses binutils components except as and ld (third party).
- powerpc: All binutils components are third party. Awaiting binutils
- arm32: Uses binutils based assembler as well as the other binutils
available to a.out.
- other a.out: The binutils are available except gas, gld, objcopy, and
strip. See next item.
- kristerw's gas/bfd additions: Added for sparc and i386, and build is in
src/gnu/usr.bin/gas.new ... this does not necessarily fix objcopy and
strip for these platforms. Need m68k and ns32k support.
- binutils 2.9.x: Not yet imported.
===== OTHER TASKS =====
- Import gdb 4.17: not yet done.
- Update recursive-directory scripts: not yet done.
- Make tree useable for a host other than NetBSD: not yet done.
-- Todd Vierling (Personal email@example.com; Bus. firstname.lastname@example.org)