Subject: Re: /kern/kernel
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: current-users
Date: 09/14/1998 20:59:38
In some email I received from der Mouse, sie wrote:

> > Maybe a more drastic solution is in order: add a boot option that
> > chroot's to a directory before loading /netbsd and the booted kernel
> > uses that directory as root.
>
> You don't need the former, since you can specify (eg) /current/netbsd
> as the kernel-to-load.
>
> I just hacked in support for booting with -r, which prompts for a root
> directory to run under at boot time.  It passes a smoke test, but needs
> real testing.  (I'm also going to add -i, to make it prompt for a path
> to use for init, instead of just hardwiring three paths.  As it stands,
> if you install an init binary that's execable but broken, you have to
> boot from alternative media to recover.)  Anyone care to offer opinions
> on whether these approaches are good or bad?

Why not go the Solaris way and implement "-a" which asks you at a set
of prompts where to find /, init (and anything else) rather than command
line options (CLO) for each ?  I suspect using one CLO for all of this
class of option is a tad better than one for each given that such events
are nearly always attended anyway.

Darren