Subject: Re: /kern/kernel
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/13/1998 22:25:00
Mouse,

Nice.  Sun uses the -i flag for this already; I think -r is reserved
under Slowlaris, but that's moot :-).  Good ideas!

Working on a dead kernel is easy since you specify the kernel
with which to debug; stabs are already in the binary.

Working in the live universe, as I just suggested (so this message
may overlap) would be easy; have the kernel reference its own
symbol table into core and have a userland process tell the system
to dump its stab into a file and flush it from core once it goes
multi-user.  Meanwhile, until it's saved and flushed, it's in core
and easily accessible.

This would require system calls to support it, or augmentation
of existing calls.

No, I'm not volunteering -- I'm still having problems writing
a driver for my antares 4-port board ('cos I don't know how to reference
a "ATMI,20-050-0014" yet).