Subject: Re: /kern/kernel
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 09/13/1998 21:30:26
> Maybe a more drastic solution is in order: add a boot option that
> chroot's to a directory before loading /netbsd and the booted kernel
> uses that directory as root.

You don't need the former, since you can specify (eg) /current/netbsd
as the kernel-to-load.

I just hacked in support for booting with -r, which prompts for a root
directory to run under at boot time.  It passes a smoke test, but needs
real testing.  (I'm also going to add -i, to make it prompt for a path
to use for init, instead of just hardwiring three paths.  As it stands,
if you install an init binary that's execable but broken, you have to
boot from alternative media to recover.)  Anyone care to offer opinions
on whether these approaches are good or bad?

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca