Subject: Re: /kern/kernel
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 09/11/1998 14:37:34
On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Brian Buhrow wrote:

> 	How do you address the problem of resolving addresses for crash dumps?
> -Brian

I'm not sure. Assuming the symbols were in the kernel, we could probably
deal w/ crash dumps if the crash header indicated where the symbol table
started. We just duplicate the groveling code in libkvm.

The reason we need to go looking at the crash dump for symbols (as opposed
to some copy of the kernel) is if we crashed due to an lkm. Its symbols
won't be in the kernel copy - just (hopefully) in the crash.

I guess my main point is that we try to do something now where one
technique fits all (groveling in the symbol list). I think to do things
"Right," we need to do something different, and probably will end up
needing two ways to do things.

Take care,

Bill