Subject: Re: Kernel naming (Re: README: process reaper committed)
To: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 09/11/1998 09:33:15
On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Brian C. Grayson wrote:

> > Just for reference, I usually have the various kernels I've made lying
> > around in root as /netbsd.NAME, and then make a hard link between /netbsd
> > and which ever kernel I'm running. So I always have the kernel lying
> > around in its made-as name. An ls -l /netbsd* tells me which kernel's
> > current (it has more links than all the others).
>
>   Except this breaks if you create a similar hard link for
> netbsd.old, which I usually do so that at any point if the new
> kernel won't work, I can boot netbsd.old and know it's the
> second-most-recent kernel (or at least a known-working kernel).
> Plus, if you've got netbsd.old set up, you don't even need to
> _have_ a /netbsd, and the system will still boot up (if /netbsd
> doesn't exist, the bootblocks then check for netbsd.old,
> onetbsd, and onetbsd.old).  I'm not sure if kvm_mkdb will be
> happy without a /netbsd, though....

I assume you mean the knowing which one is the current one via link
counts breaks. :-)

Then I just assume that the higher numbered one is the newer one. Also, I
make a netbsd.new. I usually boot off of netbsd.new in single user. If all
goes well, I mount / r/w and make netbsd point to netbsd.new. Thus the new
kernel has three links, and the old two. :-)

Take care,

Bill