Subject: Kernel naming (Re: README: process reaper committed)
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 09/09/1998 23:46:21
On Wed, Sep 09, 1998 at 06:10:37PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > Ryan Ordway <rimsky@teleport.com> writes:
> > > I can TRY renaming it to /netbsd.BRAHMS-4 and change the kvm_mkdb
> > > invocation in /etc/rc...
>
> Just for reference, I usually have the various kernels I've made lying
> around in root as /netbsd.NAME, and then make a hard link between /netbsd
> and which ever kernel I'm running. So I always have the kernel lying
> around in its made-as name. An ls -l /netbsd* tells me which kernel's
> current (it has more links than all the others).

  Except this breaks if you create a similar hard link for
netbsd.old, which I usually do so that at any point if the new
kernel won't work, I can boot netbsd.old and know it's the
second-most-recent kernel (or at least a known-working kernel).
Plus, if you've got netbsd.old set up, you don't even need to
_have_ a /netbsd, and the system will still boot up (if /netbsd
doesn't exist, the bootblocks then check for netbsd.old,
onetbsd, and onetbsd.old).  I'm not sure if kvm_mkdb will be
happy without a /netbsd, though....

  So to tell kernels apart, I use 'ls -lai /netbsd* | sort -n'.
Then look for the /netbsd, and the one right next to it with
the same inode number is the `extended' name.

  Happy hacking!

  Brian
--
"...and the particle undergoes a BOINNNNG..." - Dr. Dunning, PHYS 202