Subject: Re: README: process reaper committed
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 09/09/1998 18:10:37
On 9 Sep 1998, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

> Ryan Ordway <rimsky@teleport.com> writes:
> > 	Yep. In all cases it shows up as:
> > NetBSD 1.3H (BRAHMS) #1: Wed Sep  9 08:18:04 PDT 1998
> >     sammael@brahms:/usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/BRAHMS
> >
> > 	Yes, it says #1, but it is actually the 5th compile. I've
> > reconfig'd. ;-)
>
> (uh, reconfig'ing the kernel shouldn't clobber the number, unless you
> rm -rf the kernel compile dir or remove the version stamp file...)

And even in that case, I think the first compile would be #0.

> > 	I'm assuming it would, as it's always been kvm_mkdb /netbsd. Same
> > kernel. I can TRY renaming it to /netbsd.BRAHMS-4 and change the kvm_mkdb
> > invocation in /etc/rc... if it would help anything. Tho, I'm pretty sure
> > that at least the DB stuuff would be fine (I don't know if it would still
> > cause the other daemons to segfault, but I doubt it)

Just for reference, I usually have the various kernels I've made lying
around in root as /netbsd.NAME, and then make a hard link between /netbsd
and which ever kernel I'm running. So I always have the kernel lying
around in its made-as name. An ls -l /netbsd* tells me which kernel's
current (it has more links than all the others).

Take care,

Bill