Subject: Re: Anyone using pppd(8) with NT RAS successfully?
To: Scott Reynolds <scott.reynolds@plexus.com>
From: Eric S. Hvozda <hvozda@ack.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/03/1998 18:06:21
On Thu, 3 Sep 1998 16:35:59 -0500  "Scott Reynolds" wrote:

> Well, yes, I can.  (It works fine with PAP, of course, but I'm using CHAP.
> :-)

Ah...but does your NT RAS server *require* encrypted passwords? Also
how can you connect to NT RAS with PAP?  You must use CHAP80, no?

> There is a trick -- I'm not sure quite where I found it -- to using
> MS-CHAP/CHAP80 with our pppd.  In your chap-secrets file, put
>
> 	username	host		password
> 	host		username	password

Got this in there already, but thanks's for the pointer.

> When I last looked, MS-CHAP support was compiled in by default.

Yes, but when you link our chap_ms.o against a test stub to see if
everything works properly, and it fails (ie just because it makes,
doesn't mean that it works).

I have heard from Bob Nestor on this as well.  He reported it works
for him last he tried, but he doesn't have the proper circumstances
to test with right now.

I did eventually find a solution, it's detailed on pr 6035.

Hmmm, I have a confirmation of bin/6035 via email, but I can't seem
to browse the pr I sent.

The basic solution was to use the md4.c that ships with the pppd
distribution and not rely on our implementation in libc.

I find it very odd that I cannot examine my own problem-report...