Subject: Re: SMP/flogging a dead horse
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/31/1998 14:20:21
Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> writes:
> On Mon, 31 Aug 1998 15:45:16 -0400 (EDT)
>  Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com> wrote:
>
>  > If there really is a fully funded project for SMP, why is it not mentioned
>  > anywhere?  Personally I would love to have SMP for NetBSD, I will go
>  > out and buy an SMP motherboard as soon as alpha test code is available.
>
> Because, perhaps, the organization does not wish to make it public yet?

To be quite frank, that's rubbish.

You and others have said, publically, that the work is underway.  As
far as I'm concerned, the public deserves status updates.

Anything else is FUD-equivalent.  It gives people no palpable reason
to believe that the system is being improved in the way claimed, but
_does_ dissuade people who are capable of doing a partial solution
from even attempting it.

Hell, event _developers_ aren't being given any information re: status
or plans, and (from what I understand) at least one of them was
working on a partial solution, and dropped it on the floor some time
ago in favor of waiting for the ne'er-to-be-discussed solution.

cgd
Plug: Get your official NetBSD-1.3.2 CDROM set today! http://www.netbsd.com/