Subject: Re: SMP/flogging a dead horse
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/31/1998 15:45:16
Chris G. Demetriou writes:
> "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:
> > There is already a fully funded project that is working on
> > multithreading our kernel, so there isn't really much cause to port
> > the FreeBSD code.
>
> Has the status of that project ever been made public?  If not, it's
> certainly in "random users'" interest to make whatever MP support they
> can work.  "Broken" MP support is better than the promise of something
> better, esp. when there's no information forthcoming about schedule.

As a "random user", I do not think that NetBSD has solid plans for SMP.
I have *never* seen an official comment regarding SMP.  The only thing
that I know is that certain people have mentioned "fully-funded" many
times.  Also, making the kernel threadsafe has been mentioned, etc.

If there really is a fully funded project for SMP, why is it not mentioned
anywhere?  Personally I would love to have SMP for NetBSD, I will go
out and buy an SMP motherboard as soon as alpha test code is available.
But AFAIK, as a random user, it isn't happening.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.