Subject: Re: ld: symbol __PROCEDURE_LINKAGE_TABLE_ remains undefined
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/1998 18:57:14
On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

: As we are trying to terminate use of the current toolchain at some
: point, and would like to eventually migrate to ELF, why not make the
: vax use ELF/ELF shared libs, instead of hacking on a new a.out shared
: lib thing, when we have the glory (on the vax) of not needing to be
: backward compatible with an old shared library format?

- There isn't, AFAIK, a precedent for vax ELF on any platform.

- GNU binutils doesn't even handle vax a.out, much less ELF.  (It'll
  understand the headers, but there is no assemble/disassemble engine.)