Subject: Re: ld: symbol __PROCEDURE_LINKAGE_TABLE_ remains undefined
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/1998 18:18:35
Matt Thomas writes:
> >ld is broken.  Matt Thomas has been fiddling around with it trying
> >to get shlibs working on the VAX.  Matt?
>
> I fixed ld to only define __PLT_ that when actually making a shared library.
> (it should also define it when making a dynamically link executeable
> but I haven't gotten that far).

Wacky question:

As we are trying to terminate use of the current toolchain at some
point, and would like to eventually migrate to ELF, why not make the
vax use ELF/ELF shared libs, instead of hacking on a new a.out shared
lib thing, when we have the glory (on the vax) of not needing to be
backward compatible with an old shared library format?

Perry