Subject: SMP/flogging a dead horse
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/26/1998 17:53:37
  There is a good chance that within the next few weeks I will
be setting up several dual Pentium II boxes.  I'll be
maintaining these machines until May.  As NetBSD is my favorite
OS, I was wondering if anyone can give a rough guess as to
whether or not SMP is likely between now and May?

  If so, I'll probably install NetBSD, in hopes that I can
upgrade to SMP when it comes out.  But if it is fairly certain
that SMP by May is highly unlikely, then I'll just throw
FreeBSD on them and pray :).  (So far my FreeBSD experience has
included a few unplanned ``uptime disturbances.'')

  Add me (at least until I graduate in May) to the list of
users with SMP-capable hardware for testing purposes -- we have
a few quad-PPro boxes that are running FreeBSD and Linux, and a
few dual Pentium IIs (in addition to some new ones we expect).

  Thanks.

  Brian
--
"...and the particle undergoes a BOINNNNG..." - Dr. Dunning, PHYS 202