Subject: Re: Purging old library versions
To: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/23/1998 18:49:36
Paul Goyette writes:
> Having followed -current for a long time now, I notice that I've got a
> few old versions of shared object libraries in /usr/lib.  Is there some
> relatively easy way to find out which executables I might still have
> lying around linked to these older versions of libedit, libkvm (likely
> not very many here), and libstdc++?

The stuff that has only changed minor number is, by definition, not
being used (or at least, not in use as soon as you reboot) because
those programs only link to the latest version.

For anything that changes major version, use "ldd" to track down the
problem children.

Myself, I just blow away the old versions and rarely worry too much.

Perry