Subject: Re: Angels (was: Parentheses and KNF)
To: Neil Hoggarth <neil.hoggarth@physiol.ox.ac.uk>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/21/1998 10:25:16
Utterly off topic (and I think I may have mentioned it before, but...):

> > > BTW, I have calculated that exactly 17 angels can dance on the
> > > head of a pin...   :')
> > No, no, it's obviously 23!
> 42.

Having learned the real story behind this in a college Medieval History
course, this has become my favorite example of the dangers of choosing
too evocative a metaphor.

The only two interesting answers to the question were "none of them" and
"all of them".  The actual question (one of those burning issues of cosmic
import to the medieval church scholars) was whether angels were corporeal;
one clever person noted that if they were incorporeal, they could all dance
on the head of a pin at the same time, and that image came to stand for the
debate -- and then got remembered long after the debate itself was forgotten
(and I've even forgotten the answer...).

[Feeble attempt at relevance:]
The QA group where I work hands out big plastic bugs to people working on
important problems (I have a big spider on my monitor right now).
Fortunately, I doubt that we'll ever be able to forget the fragility of
software, so I don't think *that* image will outlive its problem...  ;-)