Subject: Re: UDMA pci cards
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Paul M. Newhouse <newhouse@pimin.rockhead.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/21/1998 00:41:15
Manuel Bouyer wrote:

>On Aug 20, Paul M. Newhouse wrote
>> Are there any UDMA IDE PCI cards that work with Manuel Bouyers code?
>>
>> Or and I going to have to continue mucking around with the Promise
>> Tech card?
>>

>If you have a yet unsupported board, and there are docs available, I'd be
>happy to add support if you can run some tests (but not yet,
>I'm going to have some hollidays :)

Have a good time on holiday!! *8^))  I've communicated with you by private
e-mail about the Promise Card and if that can be made to work that would be
super!  Your efforts on this are appreciated.

I was also wondering, are there other cards that *just* work with the code
that you have developed?  The onboard chip on my Micronics M7STA board seems
to work (although it seems to have trouble with Maxtor 6.4GB devices & the
UDMA code) but, that only supports 4 devices and limits my other systems
which do not have on board UDMA.

Once I found the person at Promise that could make the decision to release
the information on the card they were very friendly and very cooperative
(my apologies to the individual, I can't find my notes [moved in between
then and now] and I can't remember your name).  While I'm sure the Promise
Card is a fine card on systems that support it, and while I appreciate the
cooperation from Promise, what I'm interested in is utilizing UDMA on
NetBSD and I'm open to using other cards if they are available.

Are there any cards available that are currently supported that just plug'n
run on NetBSD?

TIA,
Paul