Subject: Re: timed -M -F host1 host2
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/21/1998 01:57:03
Jukka Marin writes:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 09:55:32AM -0700, Erik E. Fair wrote:
> > We *really* should remove timed from NetBSD.
>
> Why?  timed works just fine for me, but xntpd does not.  Every once in
> a while, xntpd stops correcting the system time and the only way to get
> it going again is to kill and restart it.

That sounds like a reason to fix xntpd, not one to keep timed.

xntpd uses a much better timekeeping paradigm in the modern world...

> Besides, timed is easier to set up than xntpd.  And smaller.

xntp requires one to three lines to configure. It is probably large on
your system because support for lots of refclocks is built in -- if
you yank that, it will shrink dramatically.

Perry