Subject: Re: timed -M -F host1 host2
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@confusion.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/20/1998 13:58:19
In message <19980820202622.44556@pyy.jmp.fi>, Jukka Marin writes:

>Why?  timed works just fine for me, but xntpd does not.  Every once in
>a while, xntpd stops correcting the system time and the only way to get
>it going again is to kill and restart it.  This has never happened to
>timed (not in the networks I maintain, anyway).  Besides, timed is
>easier to set up than xntpd.  And smaller.  And uses far less CPU time
>(about 10%) than xntpd.  And I like timed. :-)

This wouldn't be on an Amiga, would it?  I've had the same thing
happen to me with xntpd on my A3000 since 1.0 (or earlier).  I finally
gave up and ran ntpdate once an hour from cron.  Someone suggested
that it might have something to do with having an NTSC system that was
running in PAL, but I never got around to looking into it.  I've never
experience that problem with xntpd on any other system.