Subject: Re: KNF and braces (was: Re: EGCS 1.1 UPDATE rev. 4)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 08/19/1998 16:49:27
> (1) in order to follow KNF, bsd.sys.mk and kernel Makefiles will use
>     -Wno-parentheses after -Wall

"Eww, ick".  In particular, that loses you all the other benefits of
-Wparentheses, such as the *paretheses* warnings, which have saved me
from a precedence screw more than once.

> (2) KNF will be changed to match such warning

I'm with thorpej and perry here: I like this (though I'm not sure
whether I'd go as far as who was it, cgd I think, who wanted to call
for full bracing).

This is the closest of the lot to my own style, y'see :)  [My style is
to put braces around the controlled statement whenever the whole
compound statement is not within the confines of a single line.  But
then, I place the braces differently from KNF, too.]

> (3) this brace warning will be removed from -Wall

I really don't like this either; it means that our gcc -Wall differs
from everybody else's gcc -Wall.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca